Saturday, June 25, 2016

Capsule Wardrobe Basics

 I thrifted all of these items.  All but the brown bomber jacket were bought in one shopping trip and cost me only $55.  Not too bad a price for a black leather jacket, a 2nd non leather cognac colored jacket, a hooded rain jacket, a white zip up hoodie, Naturalizer black sandals, 2 tank tops, Ann Taylor silk turtleneck sweater, and 4 long sleeved tees.

As I talked about here, I am working towards a more pared down wardrobe... one that leans more toward minimalism than excess and relies heavily on the basics as it's foundation.
One step in this process is an ongoing one.  It consists of repeatedly going through my closet and pulling items that don't fit, don't spark joy, don't fit my lifestyle or the style I want to achieve, or that I just don't wear even though I may like them.  (I must not love them or I'd be wearing them.)  The items that fall into those categories are being donated.
I have donated approximately 7 large bags of clothing this week.  Unfortunately, my closet is still crammed with clothes.  I don't know how I could have possibly let myself acquire so many pieces of clothing!  It's ridiculous.  I was feeling burdened by the excess and am now ready to change my shopping habits, hone my style, and work harder towards minimizing my wardrobe. 

The clothes in the top photo are some of my basic pieces that I'll use to create capsule wardrobes.  I've never created capsule wardrobes before, but realized that's exactly what had happened when I gathered my clothing pieces together for our July trip.  I was pleasantly surprised with how much I loved the look of those pieces together, their simplicity, and mix and match potential.
(I'll share my vacation wardrobe in another post.)

Below are some of the staple pieces I'll be using as basics in my everyday looks.
Above is a nice quality 100% silk black Ann Taylor turtleneck.  It's a sweater material even though it looks like a tee in that horrible photo. :(

 Here are 4 long sleeved tees in black, gray, blue, and white.
A new black hooded rain jacket to replace the three I donated that were too big.
Three jackets: black leather, brown leather and a non-leather cognac colored one.

Two tank tops in gray and white.  A white zip up hooded jacket.
 Sandals in black and a cognac brown.

I am looking forward to transitioning my style and wardrobe to these basics in neutral colors.  I'll accessorize these pieces with scarves and necklaces.  I have an adequate to large collection of accessories so this should work well.
I'll also be adding in some color at times with pieces I already own that will remain a part of my wardrobe.
I will continue working on this transition and practicing putting together capsules until I achieve the closet and wardrobe that works best for me.
If you need inspiration to dress more simply and want to embrace a more minimalist style or are interested in creating capsule wardrobes... I encourage you to watch youtube videos on creating capsule wardrobes such as this one...The Liberating Benefits of a Capsule Wardrobe.
I love the points she makes in the video and I really want this in my life.

Link Up:  Visible Monday

4 comments:

  1. Great job, Lisa you are definitely on your way to this goal and it's great that you seem excited about it. I think every thrifter reaches this stage , at least those in our age range. It's so easy to overbuy. It doesn't mean no more thrifting, but there is something to be said about thrifting for a purpose and looking for items on your wish list. I want to get a handle on this darn menopausal weight gain and then I too will be taking a look at my wardrobe with new eyes and goals. I will be following your journey with great interest, thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the encouragement, Tracey. I really appreciate your understanding of where my head is at right now. :)
      I've STILL got ooooodles of clothes (and lots of outfits to wear that aren't "basic") and it's going to take continued work to get to where I ultimately want to be...but I feel like I've got a new vision and goal for my future style in this stage of my life.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful job! I am on a similar path, but you are truly the thrifting goddess! I look forward to following your journey, xox

    -Patti
    http://notdeadyetstyle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful finds! I particularly like the jackets you've sourced. What a great start for you :)
    Michelle xx
    http://www.thebarefacedchic.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. I love hearing from my blogger friends!
Please feel free to leave your blog url with your comments so that myself and others may come and visit you too. Have a beautiful day. :)

~Lisa~